Hi, I’m Jess. Welcome to the blog. Here you’ll find conversational-style musings about a range of topics, including writing, gaming, crafts, books, the esoteric, raising a child, and general life in New Zealand.
Here’s a small sum-up of my online presence:
- This blog is hosted at discombobulated.co.nz (which uses blot.im)
- My “official writing blog” (still a bit under construction) is at www.jessicanickelsen.com
- I also micro blog at discombobulated.micro.blog. (And am Micro Monday interview #9 with Jean MacDonald!)
- My old blog can be found at herself.wordpress.com. You can find my archives, which date back to ~2003, there. (Note I have currently–temporarily?–put these behind a password while I think about how much of my past writing I still want hanging around, like a bad smell…)
- I also wrote a tarot blog for a while, which I think still holds up. I am currently looking at ways I can use these little powerhouses of symbol to help enhance my brainstorming / wild creative ways, and even as a method of structuring my fiction writing. This post, Tarot for writers, pretty much sums up how I use the cards when I’m thinking creatively.
- I used to post scans of photos I took and developed on Flickr, but I’ve found their pricing model change is too hard to justify right now. Watch this space.
- I post pictures of things I’ve crafted on Instagram, although I’m on there rarely these days.
- Even older: archive (courtesy of the wayback machine) of my diary-x blog. Oddly, this only shows the archive for 2001 (but surely that’s enough, right?) In looking for this link though I managed to bring up some later entries (see this one from 2005). I guess you could work your way backwards from there if you were seriously determined. I don’t even know if I am, to be honest. But thanks Wayback Machine, all the same!