So the very lovely Alicia nominated me for something called a Liebster award. From what I understand it’s a really cool way to pat a web-buddy on the back and say “hey, I like what you do!” And then hopefully spread the love around a bit more. For the record, this is a really cool idea, and I really appreciate the thought that anyone (apart from me, heh) enjoys reading this thing. So thanks!
In order to accept the award though you don’t just get to go “cheers luv,” and be done with it. There are STEPS that must be completed. I don’t mind steps, generally-speaking though there seem to be quite a few involved here. But it’s my first time being nominated for anything like this, so what the hey.
Let me see if I’ve got this:
- Thanks the person who nominated you, and link back to their blog. check. (Thanks again, btw!)
- Display award banner/icon/badge (spangly! shiny!) check!
- Answer 11 questions about you from the person who nominated you. (See below!)
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself (see below)
- Nominate 5-11 blogs that you feel deserve the award (with fewer than 1,000 followers) (see below!)
- Create a new list of questions for your nominated bloggers to answer (ditto).
- List these rules in your post. (in progress!)
- Let your nominees know about your nominations, and link back to your post!
Questions from Alicia (and my answers):
- Favorite Toe: Ummm, maybe my big toes? Gotta say I’m not a fan of my little toes; they curl under and look weird, and the toenail is a little sliver of nothing that’s always awkward to trim.
- Mushrooms — Yay or Nay? Yay, but I’m embarrassed to admit that I really only like button mushrooms or those large brown ones. Oh, and ceps. Other, wilder, mushrooms I have some difficulty with. I suspect this may be due to the fact that growing up, my mother was really into mushrooms. She was a member of the local mycological society and used to bring us along on mushroom forays. We’d help identify them, and the fear of imminent death as a result of a mis-identification was always drummed into us. A bit of a psychological can of worms, or something.
- Do you judge people? I used to do this more, but I’ve noticed that I notice when other people judge others. Of course you make quick judgements about the guy who cuts you off on the motorway, or other acts of random rudeness, but more than likely they are just people having a bad day. And I know I’ve had plenty of those.
- How many clocks are in your place of residence? Two.
- Parlez-Vous Français? Un petit peu.
- Scars — How many and where? Mostly on my hands – cat scratches and things like that.
- Why do you write? Because it’s a compulsion. And this blog has been around so long it has its own momentum and gravity carrying it forward.
- Favourite line from a book you’ve read? Not my favourite of all time (what could that be? the mind boggles) but a recent favourite was this, from H is For Hawk: “It’s all happening at once, the man pulls an enormous, enormous hawk out of the box and in a strange coincidence of world and deed a great flood of sunlight drenches us and everything is brilliance and fury.”
- What is beauty to you? Wild, dangerous, fleeting.
- Would you consider eating a cricket covered in chocolate? I’d consider it.
11 Random things about myself:
- I don’t really like jewellery, perfume, and makeup. I go through stages where I’ll buy it, and feel all “grown up” as I put it on, but eventually the habit dwindles and I go back to my usual mode.
- I wish I was more stylish than I am. Though I really hate heels with jeans, swingy cardigans with no buttons (random examples of “middle age female fashion”), and tend to favour jeans and t-shirts. Sometimes I still feel like a kid who hasn’t learned to dress itself (see above).
- I’m an INFP. This makes me happy.
- My grandfather was friends with Humphrey Bogart. They would go hunting together. He left a pair of boots behind at my grandparents’ ranch and my dad used to wear them. We have a painting he gave my grandparents as a wedding present.
- They also had several pet cheetahs. There are photographs of my grandmother going grocery shopping with a cheetah on a leash that the local paper took.
- My family are all cat maniacs. Going back at least three generations on both sides.
- I wish I owned all of the John Bellairs books. I wish I could live inside them.
- I’m really bad at housework.
- Favourites to play on the piano: Beethoven and Chopin.
- When I walk around the neighbourhood I’m always mentally judging which house could barricade itself the best against zombies.
- I never used to like Hydrangeas; I thought they looked like “old lady hats.” But recently this has changed and I’m really into them.
My nominated blogs:
I’ve nominated all of these blogs because I think they’re really great! Some are funnier, some more poignant, more heartbreaking – but they are all really well written and have given me a wonderful window into others’ lives. Exactly what I love blogs for. Thank you, everyone, for what you do, and what you share.
My new list of questions:
- What are you reading right now?
- You have one day with no demands of you. What would do with it?
- If your house was on fire (or you had to leave the country in a hurry) – what five things would you take with you?
- What’s on your bedside table?
- What was your top obsession when you were a kid?
- What was your favourite book as a child?
- Describe what it’s like where you live in less than six words.
- What was the last song you listened to?
- Are you a pet person?
- What’s your drink of choice?
- What’s your favourite piece of clothing?