1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I can’t think of anything really that I don’t like; I tend to knit with wool, but that’s usually because I guess it makes sense to knit hats, mittens, scarves, etc. from something warm, rather than acrylic. I haven’t knitted much with silks or any other ‘luxury’ yarns, mostly because of the cost to buy (and my LYS really only stocks the basics).
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a needle case that I sewed myself, out of the Stitch and Bitch book, and recently bought a case for my circulars. I’m all ‘cased up’!
How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you
consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I’ve been knitting since I was young; knitted my first sweater in high school, and over the years just knitted the odd scarf and the like. I really got into knitting about three years ago, and spinning about a year and a half ago. I’d say I’m an advanced knitter, in that I can follow any pattern and not have problems with it. I haven’t designed anything myself aside from hats (but do they count?).
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, though it’s bordering on the ridiculous now:
5. What’s your favorite scent? I like Lolita Lempika, which my sister got me a few years ago. I also like the new DKNY apple perfumes. I like apple :-)
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I love sour candy! Sour, fizzy, you name it!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I love spinning, and do a little bit of sewing (though only the really easy stuff). I’m taking a pottery class, love to cook and garden, make lip balms, and if I’m really organised, making hand bound books.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Yep, I can play mp3s! I love music of all kinds, though I really can’t stand anything like soft pop. I’m into jazz, indie, rock, some metal. Not a huge rap fan, though I like a few different hip-hop artists. My favorite bands include Pavement, Belle & Sebastian, Air, Pixies, The Ramones, the Cure and the Clash. I love Thelonius Monk.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand? Green’s definitely my favorite color. I can’t think of any colors I really can’t stand, though I think I prefer bolder colors over pastels. (Actually, I really don’t like lilac.)
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I live with my boyfriend Steve, and my black cat named Sooty. (I didn’t name him, it was the name he came with when I got him from the cats protection league.) I also have a tank of tropical fish (mostly guppies and catfish). My parents live in Taupo, in the North Island, and my sister lives in Somerset in the UK.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yup! I haven’t made my mind up on ponchos; I’m not sure if they’re sillily trendy or a fantastic idea.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Well, hats are nice and quick, as are hand warmers. They make nice presents! For myself, I usually make socks or sweaters (probably because I have enough hats).
13. What are you knitting right now? I just finished knitting an Elizabeth Zimmerman watch cap for my
boyfriend’s father, and am working on the “Sartje’s booties” for my
friend’s new baby.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I like the feel of straight needles, but the ease of circulars. (I don’t really have that many circs though.) I have a mix of needles; initially I liked bamboo the most but have found they can split and snag the yarn a little too easily. I have one set of rosewood needles that are wonderful to knit with (though they’ve got a bit of a bend in them). Aluminium are good once they warm up in your hands… basically, if they’re cute and/or colourful, I don’t mind what they’re made of!
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? I have a manual ball-winder, but no swift!
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Uh, a year? I also have a red mohair sweater I knitted and completed but now have to frog as it’s just too hot to wear! One of these days I’ll get to it…
18. What is your favorite holiday? Halloween! Pity it doesn’t really get celebrated in New Zealand…
19. Is there anything that you collect? Fountain pens, blank notebooks, cute stationery.
Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get
your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I don’t have a subscription to any knitting mags but have on occasion bought Interweave Knits, Rowan magazine & Rebecca (GHH). I’ve never tried Addi circulars – I’d like to see what the fuss is all about! I am also keen to read “Handspun Revolution” by Alexis Boeger. Yarns? Anything cool and colourful, and at least enough to knit a pair of socks with :-)
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? Never learned how to knit fair isle. While I’m at it, I’d love to learn how to knit with both hands!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yes I am! Let me get back to you with measurements, I’m at work…
23. When is your birthday? December 22 (Sagittarius/Capricorn cusp…)
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID? I’m on the waiting list!
Powered by ScribeFire.